Over and over again, as a home inspector, I see easily accessed outlets and light switches that have no covers. If a home is older, it seems that is very often the case. In fact, there should be covers on ALL of the switches, junction boxes or outlets in a home. The worst offenders are connections in basement areas and garages. The rest of the house might be okay, but look out for those lesser-traveled spots. The biggest risk is plain old shock hazard. Especially young kids are likely to stick their fingers in these boxes and a shock is the logical conclusion. Just remember, if you are a realtor, to have your clients put covers on all the visible outlets, switches and junction boxes.
Thank you for stopping by.
Steven L. Smith