Steven L. Smith, Bellingham, WA Home Inspector (King of the House)

head_left_image

Bellingham Washington Home Inspection (King of the House): Unsafe Panel

This is the electric cover removed from the main panel in a mobile home park. The burn or arc marks are from high voltage - 240V. At some point, the two legs of the 240 volt conductor came in contact with the metal cover. This was an old, and unsafe, main panel so that was not too surprising. Water had been inside of it for some time. In looking up inside the panel, the 220V wires were bare and in such a position that someone removing, or replacing, the panel cover could have, and obviously did, short the live 240V conductors. This is, in my view, the most dangerous panel I have ever inspected.

Thank you for stopping by.

Steven L. Smith

www.kingofthehouse.com

 

Steven L. Smith

If you enjoy nostalgia and music of yesteryear, click on Elvis' gold record to visit This Day In History. To explore The Stories Behind The Music blog posts click on the electric guitar. 

 

        

 

 

 

 

Comment balloon 3 commentsSteven L. Smith • September 28 2007 01:44PM

Comments

Hair raising to say the least.  This looks like an improptu electrcution just waiting to happen!
Posted by Marlene Bridges, Laguna Homes|Laguna Condos|Laguna Real Estate (Village Real Estate Services, Inc.) about 11 years ago
I hope the meter head blew and not the electrician who was getting into this box. That is unacceptable.
Posted by Randy Lyon (Kettley and Company) about 11 years ago

I had the good fortune to be the guy opening it up, on my knees, on a wet day. I could see, the way the thing was made, how this had happened in the past.

Posted by Anonymous about 11 years ago

Participate